Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Euthanasia and life of Innocent Women - Aruna Shanbaug


Euthanasia, more commonly known as ‘mercy killing’, refers to the practice of ending life in order to relieve endless pain and intractable suffering. It is derived from the Greek word ‘Euthanatos’ meaning an easy or good death.
Very few countries or territories legally sanction one or the other form of euthanasia. They include: The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Albania and three states in USA (Washington, Oregon and Montana). (Source - Google Web)

The case of Aruna Shanbaug

Aruna Shanbaug was a nurse at KEM (King Edward Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai) Hospital, Mumbai and she was sexually assaulted by a hospital sweeper or can say Ward boy Sohanlal Valmiki in November 27, 1973. The attacker choked Aruna with a dog chain and sodomised her in the basement of the hospital. The strangulation blocked oxygen flow to parts of brain-leaving her blind, deaf and paralyzed. Valmiki was convicted for attempt of murder but not for rape and sexual assault. He was freed after seven years in jail, as nothing got proved against him. Now over 60, Aruna has been in a vegetative state for over 37 years in KEM hospital. Abandoned by family, the hospital staff & few Good Friends has cared for her all these years.

Aruna Shaunbag was 24 years old. She was in an honourable profession- nursing. She was due to be married in a month. Life would have been normal, ordinary- just like it has been for many women before her, and will be for many women for centuries to come.The Supreme Court announced its verdict on a petition filed by author/activist Pinki Virani They rejected her petition on 7th March which sought to end Shanbaug's life so that she may not suffer the indignity of the life she's been leaving this many years.

Euthanasia is a sensitive topic world over. Personally, I don't have an opinion about mercy killing (Iccha Mrutyu). Even I came to know about the word and it's meaning when I saw move Gujazarish. It is way too complex and layered for me to form a judgement about it. But one thing I am certain about- it should never ever be legalized in India. In a country where integrity is cheaper than luxury cars and designer clothes, euthanasia will for certain be misused. I also don't have an opinion about the Supreme Courts verdict. One part of me feels they could have taken some pity on the woman and just ordered the doctors to 'passively' kill her. Yet on another level, I think it was completely fair, and they did the best they could. As for sure if they pass the law then it will be miss used.

But there is something more which makes me sad about the whole case. I was not knowing about the whole case unless n untill I saw the debate on  Euthanasia on NDTV News in Barkha Dutt show. I gave my all time over watching Television and I came to know that Aruina was just  24 when the incident happened. And something about that fact, made me look at the case in a whole new light. It hit me, that no matter what the verdict is, or could have been or should have been, at the end of the day- that 24 year old Girl is lost forever. Her dreams, her goals, her future, will forever remain unknown. An entire life has been wasted, that's what I feel as....

Maybe it's because I am a girl, and this case is a reminder of just how vulnerable a woman is, regardless of who she is, or where she is Maybe it's because I suddenly feel the need to value every second of my existence, and pray that nothing remotely close to this ever happens to anyone, ever again.

But I hope Aruna Shaunbag gets her justice. In some way or the other.....

God Please let her go in Peace....

Anu Shah

No comments: